Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 3 Letter

Hola Familia y Amigos,

That's all I've learned in Spanish so far.... Just kidding. But seriously. I'm practically fluent. I can say please and thank you. And that's all you need right?

This week has been just great. I'm currently trying to think of anything crazy or different happening... Oh yeah. Hermana Lazalde and Elder Anaya left on Wednesday for the MTC in Peru, and Elder Packard and Elder Bahr (my first companion) are in Boise serving in the field waiting for their Mexican visas. Pretty crazy. We're all getting some cabin fever here. Watching people leave makes us want to get to the field and start teaching for real, even though our Spanish and gospel knowledge is still pretty meager. But hey we're doing much better. This past week my whole perspective on the mission has started to change. I've been enjoying nearly every minute, but at the same time still thought of it as mostly a service. Sure it is, but it is starting to not feel like one. We are so lucky to be here. We get to be the hands of Jesus Christ on this earth and help others see how much he can bless them. The gospel of Jesus Christ is for everyone. God loves all his children and they all deserve to feel of that love. I also have a new perspective on the Atonement. One of the Elders in our zone was talking about it in his testimony and he said to imagine our literal brother suffering for  our sins. Then I pictured Copper or Riley being hurt for something I'd done and I just started crying uncontrollably. Jesus is our brother and he died to save us. I feel gratitude in my heart constantly for this. I want nothing more than to help others partake of that Atonement and feel clean though baptism. Man... I'm sitting here thinking about my priorities from just a few weeks ago and I'm in awe of how far off the mark I've been. Sure, I've been a good enough kid but I didn't humble myself before God everyday and earnestly thank him for all that has been done for me and then act on that gratitude. I do that daily now and I am so happy. Please, PLEASE thank God for everything you all have. Nothing is possible in this life or the next without God and Jesus Christ.

So as for more worldy things, Elder Neff, Elder Lundberg, and Elder Miller are all avid Arrested Development fans so we basically only speak in quotes now. That's always entertaining. And I feel such a great bond with all the Elders who I interact with. Nothing like the Spirit of the Lord to help make strangers into brothers in 3 short weeks. The hispanic elders on our floor might be the funniest human beings to ever walk the earth. Oh man. The MTC is something else.

Also, I love the scriptures. I can't belive it took me so long to take advantage of having the Word of God at my fingertips. My favorite scriptures this week include Mosiah 28:3 (really emphasizes how important missionary work is) and Moroni 7:45-47 (pure love of Christ baby). The second one is so important. We all need to feel genuine love for everyone around us. Member of the church, crackhead on the street, anybody. If Jesus loves them we must love them. And guess what, Jesus loves errbody. So what I'm trying to say is drop any animosity or ill feelings you might have and love because that's what we are commanded to do by God.

Okay no more preaching, I just want to share this quote that goes in line with what I wrote previously about this not being a service but a privilege. I forget who said it. Livingstone or something. Anyways here it is

"If a commission from an earthly king is considered an honor, how can a commission from a heavenly king be considered a sacrifice." WOOP WOOP so sweet right?

So yeah, this isn't a sacrifice. This is the best thing anybody could do. Be great, go on a mission, love everyone, all that good stuff.

I also love packages. Anybody who wants to send one is a saint. But the trick is, don't send food. We get treats so often it's impossible to eat them. We like toys and pictures and random fun things, so if you want get creative.

My address (in case you forgot) is:

Elder Price Jarman
MTC Mailbox #239
MEX-VER 0319
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604

So anyways, the Church is true and life is good. Love everyone you meet and you will be happy. Talk to ya'll next week

Love,
Elder Jarman

No comments:

Post a Comment